Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Banaras Hindu University

Banaras Hindu University

Banaras Hindu University
ChancellorKaran Singh
Vice-ChancellorLalji Singh
LocationVaranasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
AffiliationsUGC, NAAC, AIU
Banaras Hindu University  is a public university located in Varanasi, India and is one of the Central Universities of India. It is the largest residential university in Asia, with over 24,000 students in its campus. BHU was founded in 1916 by Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya under the Parliamentary legislation 'B.H.U. Act 1915'.
The campus spread over 1350 acres (5.5 km²) was built on land donated by the Kashi Naresh, the hereditary ruler of Banaras. Apart from the main campus, the Rajiv Gandhi South Campus covering 2,760-acre (11.2 km2) is at Barkatcha near the city of Mirzapur, about 80 kilometers from Banaras.
It has 140 teaching departments and more than 55 hostels for boys and girls. The total enrollment in the university stands at just over 15000, including students from all over India and abroad. Several of its colleges, including engineering (IT-BHU), science, linguistics, journalism & mass communication, law and medicine (IMS-BHU), Faculty of Management Studies, are ranked amongst the best in India. Out of these IT-BHU is set to become India's 16th IIT, IIT-BHU from the academic session 2010. Also, the university is well known for its Department of French studies which offers degree and diploma courses. BHU is ranked as the second best university in the field of research in India after Delhi University. It is also ranked as the best overall university of India on all parameters as per the India Today magazine dated 2 June 2010

Banaras Hindu University ranks among the first few in the country in the field of academic and research output. There are two campuses, 3 institutes, 16 faculties, 140 departments, 4 advanced centers and 4 interdisciplinary schools. This University is making its mark at the national and international levels in a number of frontier areas of Science, Social Science, Technology, Medicine and Agriculture etc. This university is deeply involed in research and teaching and mesh together seamlessly - one without the other is incomplete.
Therefore we have ensured the development of a collaborative environment conducive to learning, exposure to the best international practices and promotion of innovation and creativity. BHU today has nearly twenty thousand students including 2500 research scholars and 650 foreign students from 34 nations, under one roof who are pursuing different academic programmes at this campus as well as the newly established Rajiv Gandhi South Campus. These are some of the brightest young minds in the country and abroad, who have joined this University after clearing a rigorous All India Entrance Test.
BHU has established the Rajiv Gandhi South Campus at Barkachha about 75 Kms southwest of Varanasi on 2760 acres of land. This campus was formally inaugurated by Hon'ble Shri Arjun Singh on August 19, 2006. The first academic session commenced from 2006-07 with six programmes which has increased to more than 25 in the present session. This campus is emerging as a potential hub to impart education, training and entrepreneurship development skills, to the youth, women and marginalized sections of society in the backward region of Mirzapur and adjoining districts of Uttar Pradesh, Western Bihar and Northern Madhya Pradesh. The Campus is heading well as per your vision for education to generate new breed of human resource who would be job creators and not job seekers


History of BHU

Statue of Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya at the entrance of Banaras Hindu University
In 1898 Annie Besant founded the Central Hindu School in Varanasi and introduced the idea that there should be learning institutions based on ancient Hindu philosophy. Malaviya supported this idea and starting in 1911 he left his legal practice and sought to organize a larger university using the Central Hindu School as a base. Besant proposed that the British crown found a "University of India" and in 1907 applied for a royal charter to establish such an institution. Malaviya sought and received the support of the Kashi Naresh and the Maharaja Sir Rameshwar Singh Bahadur to establish the university. In April 1911, Besant and Malaviya met and decided to unite their forces and work for a common Hindu University at Varanasi. The Government of India offered funding if Besant's Central Hindu College would become part of the new university, and Besant, Bhagwan Das, and other college trustees agreed to the merge in November 1915.
In February 1916 to promote the university's expansion guest speakers such as Mahatma Gandhi, Sir J.C. Bose, Dr. PC. Ray, Prof. Sam Higginbottom, Besant, Prof. C. V. Raman, delivered a series of what are now called the University Extension Lectures on Vasant Panchami. Sir Sundar Lal was appointed the first Vice-Chancellor. The Chancellor of the University, Maharaja Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV of Mysore who had come to preside over and address the Convocation, also performed the opening ceremony of the Engineering College Workshop buildings. Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV of Mysore presided over the first university convocation on 17 January 1919, and at this time he also announced the opening of the first college on the campus, which was the Engineering College.

At the 21st Conference of the Indian National Congress in Benares in December 1905, Malviya publicly announced his intent to establish a university in Varanasi. Malviya continued to develop his vision for the university with inputs from other Indian nationalists and educationists. He published his plan in 1911. The focus of his arguments was on the prevailing poverty in India and the decline in income of Indians compared to Europeans. The plan called for focus on technology and science, besides the study of India's religion and culture:
    "The millions mired in poverty here can only get rid (of it) when science is used in their interest. Such maximum application of science is only possible when scientific knowledge is available to Indians in their own country."
Malviya's plan evaluated whether to seek government recognition for the university or operate without its control. He decided in favor of the former for various reasons. Malviya also considered the question of medium of instruction, and decided to start with English given the prevalent environment, and gradually add Hindi and other Indian languages. A distinguishing characteristic of Malviya's vision was the preference for a residential university. All other Indian universities of the period, such as the universities in Bombay, Calcutta, Madras, etc., were affiliating universities which only conducted examinations and awarded degrees to students of their affiliated colleges. Around the same time, Annie Besant was also trying to expand her Central Hindu School and establish a university. Established in 1898 in the Kamachha area of Varanasi, the vision behind the school was that there should be learning institutions based on Hindu philosophy. Malviya had supported Besant's cause and in 1903, he had raised 250,000 Rupees in donations to finance the construction of the school's hostel. In 1907 Besant had applied for a royal charter to establish a university. However, there was no response from the British government.
Following the publication of Malviya's plan, Besant met Malviya and in April 1911 they agreed to unite their forces to build the university in Varanasi. Malviya soon left his legal practice to focus exclusively on developing the university and his independence activities. On 22 November 1911, he registered the Hindu University Society to gather support and raise funds for building the university. He spent the next 4 years gathering support and raising funds for the university. Malviya sought and received early support from the Kashi Naresh Prabhu Narayan Singh and Maharaja Sir Rameshwar Singh Bahadur of Raj Darbhanga.
In October 1915, with support from Malviya's allies in the Indian National Congress, the Banaras Hindu University Bill was passed by the Imperial Legislative Council. In November 1915, Besant, Bhagwan Das, and other trustees of the Central Hindu School agreed to the government's condition that the school become a part of the new university. BHU was finally established in 1916, the first university in India that was the result of a private individual's efforts. The foundation for the main campus of the university was laid by Lord Hardinge, the then Viceroy of India, on Vasant Panchami 4 February 1916. To promote the university's expansion, Malviya invited eminent guest speakers such as Mahatma Gandhi, Sir Jagadish Chandra Bose, Prof C. V. Raman, Dr. Prafulla Chandra Roy, Prof Sam Higginbottom, Sir Patrick Geddes, and Besant to deliver a series of what are now called The University Extension Lectures between 5–8 February 1916. Gandhi's lecture on the occasion was his first public address in India.
Sir Sunder Lal was appointed the first Vice Chancellor, and the university began its academic session the same month with classes initially held at the Central Hindu School in the Kamachha area, while the campus was being built on over 1,300 acres (5.3 km2) of land donated by the Kashi Naresh on the outskirts of the city. Keeping with Malviya's vision articulated in his 1911 plan, the Banaras Engineering College (BENCO) was among the first new academic colleges of the university to be established. Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV of Mysore, the first Chancellor of BHU, performed the opening ceremony of the BENCO workshop buildings on 17 January 1919, during his visit to preside over the first university convocation.


Being a vast university and under various phases of development, Banaras Hindu University has two main types of academic subunits: Institute and Faculty.


Institute of Agricultural Sciences (IAS)

Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University

The Institute of Medical Sciences is a residential, co-educational medical institute. It admits undergraduate (MBBS/BAMS/BDS) students through the BHU-PMT entrance examination held by BHU in cities of India. The B.Sc.(Nursing), B Pharma ( Ay),M Pharma ( Ay) MDS, MD/MS, DM/M.Ch, MD.(Ay)/MS(Ay)and Ph.D students are selected through national entrance tests held by BHU in Varanasi. The M.Sc. (Health Statistics) students are admitted through a common post-graduate entrance test conducted by BHU in cities of India.

Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University

Institute of Environment and Sustainable Development

Other facilities

Faculties :
  • Faculty of Arts
  • Faculty of Commerce
  • Faculty of Education
  • Faculty of Law
  • Faculty of Management Studies
  • Faculty of Performing Arts
  • Faculty of Science
  • Faculty of Engineering
  • Faculty of Agriculture
  • Faculty of Medicine
  • Faculty of Ayurveda
  • Faculty of Dental Sciences
  • Faculty of Social Sciences
  • Sanskrit Vidya Dharma Vijnan Sankaya
  • Faculty of Visual Arts
School of Biotechnology

School of Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Banaras Hindu University
The School of Biotechnology is a centre of postgraduate teaching and research under the aegis of Faculty of Science at BHU. It is one of the earliest centres established by Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India in 1986. It offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in Biotechnology. Notable faculty include Arvind Mohan Kayastha.
Advanced research centers and interdisciplinary schools
  • DBT-BHU Interdisciplinary School of Life Sciences Advance Research and Education (DBT-BHU-ISLARE)
  • DST Centre for Interdisciplinary Mathematical Sciences
  • DBT Centre of Genetic Disorders
  • DBT Centre for Food Science and Technology
  • Centre for Environmental Science and Technology
  • Nanoscience and Technology Center
  • Hydrogen Energy Centre
  • UGC Advanced Immunodiagnostic Training and Research Centre
  • Centre for Experimental Medicine and Surgery
  • Center for Women's Studies and Development (CWSD)
  • Center for the Study of Nepal (CNS)
  • Malviya Center for Peace Research (MCPR)
  • Center for Rural Integrated Development
  • Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy (CSSEIP)
The Women's College (Mahila Mahavidyalaya) and four constituent colleges
  • D.A.V. college
  • Arya Mahila postgraduate college
  • Basanta Kanya Mahavidyalaya
  • Vasanta College,Rajghat
Affiliated schools and college
  • Ranvir Sanskrit Vidyalaya, Kammacha
  • Central Hindu Boys and Girls school, Kammacha
Apart from specialized centers directly funded by DBT, DST, ICAR and ISRO, a large number of departments under the faculty of Sciences, Engineering, Technology and Social Sciences are supported by DST-FIST (22 departments/schools) and UGC CAS/SAP/DRS (14 departments/schools).


Kashi Vishwanath Temple New
Banaras Hindu University conducts national level undergraduate (UET) and postgraduate (PET) entrance tests usually during May–June for admission. Admissions are done according to merit in the entrance tests, subject to fulfilling of other eligibility requirements. Admissions to B.Tech./B.Pharm., M.Tech./M.Pharm. are done through JEE and GATE respectively. Admission to MBA and MIBA are done through IIM-CAT score. Admissions for PhD are done on the basis of either qualification of National Eligibility Test (NET) by the candidates or through the scores of CRET (common research entrance test). Admissions in IMS are done through PMT exam.
BHU attracts a number of foreign learners. Foreign students are admitted through the application submitted to the Indian mission in his/her country or by his/her country's mission in India.

Department of Library and Information Science

Department of Library and Information Science was established in 1941 and is among the oldest Library and Information Science schools in India and provides an education for librarianship in India. The department has established a national and international reputation in its field. It started as a two-month course of Librarianship which lead to a six-month certificate course in Librarianship later that year. The department initiated diploma course in Librarianship, second of its kind in India after Madras University in 1942. In 1961, the diploma course was converted to a bachelor degree course with necessary modifications in course content. The course has been discontinued from 2005 onward. Department introduced a one-year Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) Programme in the 1965 second after University of Delhi in order to train specialist librarians for specialized libraries. From 2005 onwards the department has introduced a two-year integrated MLIS programme as per guidelines of Curriculum Development Committee (CDC) of the University Grant Commission (UGC). A Ph.D. course was initiated in the department in 1980. Nineteen doctoral dissertations so far have been successfully defended for the award of Doctor of Philosophy. The department has recently started a special course of study M.A. (Manuscriptology) which aims to provide education and training of handling manuscripts — storage, preservation, conservation, study and use.
Admission to the MLIS course is based on the merit acquired by a candidate in an entrance test conducted by B.H.U. administration annually. Applicants need a graduate degree under 10+2+3 pattern from any Indian university/institution recognized by U.G.C. with at least 50% marks in aggregate (at least 45% for SC/ST candidates). A candidate appearing at the qualifying examination and expecting to fulfill the eligibility requirements as above may also apply. Programs include masters degrees in Library and Information Science and Manuscriptology, and a PhD research program.

The Central Library

The Banaras Hindu University Library system was established from a collection donated by Prof. P.K. Telang in the memory of his father Justice Kashinath Trimbak Telang in 1917. The collection was housed in the Telang Hall of the Central Hindu College, Kamachha. In 1921 the library was moved to the Central Hall of the Arts College (now Faculty of Arts) and then in 1941 to its present building. The library was established with the donation from Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III of Baroda, on the pattern of the library British Museum in London on the suggestion of Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, the founder of university. It is also a designated 'Manuscript Conservation Centre' (MCC) under the National Mission for Manuscripts established in 2003.
The library had a collection of around 60,000 volumes in 1931, through donations from various sources. The trend of donation of personal and family collection to the library continued as late as forties with the result that it has unique pieces of rarities of books and journals dating back to 18th century.
Presently the Banaras Hindu University Library System consists of Central Library at apex and 3 Institute Libraries, 8 Faculty Libraries, 25 Departmental Libraries, with a total collection of over 13 lakh volumes to serve the students, faculty members, researchers, technical staff of fourteen faculties consisting of 126 subject departments of the university.

Library system

The Banaras Hindu University Library system was established from a collection donated by Prof. P.K. Telang in the memory of his father Justice Kashinath Trimbak Telang in 1917. The collection was housed in the Telang Hall of the Central Hindu College, Kamachha. In 1921, the library was moved to the Central Hall of the Arts College (now the Faculty of Arts). The present Central Library of BHU was established with a donation from Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III of Baroda. Upon his return from the First Round Table Conference, Gaekwad wanted a library built on the pattern of the British Library and its reading room, which was then located in the British Museum. On Malviya's suggestion, he made the donation to build the library on the BHU campus. The Gaekwad Library is a designated Manuscript Conservation Centre (MCC) of the National Mission for Manuscripts, established in 2003. By 1931, the library had built a collection of around 60,000 volumes. The trend of donation of personal and family collection to the library continued as late as 1940s with the result that it has unique pieces of rarities of books and journals dating back to 18th century. As of 2011, the BHU Library System consisted of the Central Library and 3 Institute Libraries, 8 Faculty Libraries and over 25 Departmental Libraries, with a collection of at least 1.3 million volumes. The digital library is available to students and staff and provides online access to thousands of journals, besides access to large collections of online resources through the National Informatics Centre's DELNET and UGC's INFLIBNET.

Main campus

BHU is located on the southern edge of Varanasi, near the banks of the River Ganges. Development of the main campus, spread over 1,300 acres (5.3 km2), started in 1916 on land donated by the then Kashi Naresh Prabhu Narayan Singh. The campus layout approximates a semicircle, with intersecting roads laid out along the radii or in arcs. Buildings built in the first half of the 20th century are fine examples of Indo-Gothic architecture. The campus has over 60 hostels offering residential accommodation for over 12,000 students. On-campus housing is also available to a majority of the full-time faculty.
The Sayaji Rao Gaekwad Library is the main library on campus and houses over 1.3 million volumes as of 2011. Completed in 1941, its construction was financed by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III of Baroda. In addition to the main library, there are three institute libraries, eight faculty libraries and over 25 departmental libraries available to students and staff. Sir Sunderlal Hospital on the campus is a teaching hospital for the Institute of Medical Sciences. Established in 1926 with 96 beds, it has since been expanded to over 900 beds and is the largest tertiary referral hospital in the region.
The most prominent landmark is the Vishwanath Temple, located in the centre of the campus. The foundation for this 252 feet (77 m) high complex of seven temples was laid in March 1931, and took almost three decades to complete. Bharat Kala Bhavan is an art and archaeological museum on the campus. Established in January 1920, its first Chairman was Nobel laureate, Rabindranath Tagore, with his nephew Abanindranath Tagore as the Vice Chairman. The museum was expanded and gained prominence with the efforts of Rai Krishnadasa. The museum is best known for its collection of Indian paintings, but also includes archaeological artefacts, textiles and costumes, Indian philately as well as literary and archival materials.
South campus
The South campus of BHU is located in Barkachha in Mirzapur district, about 60 km (37 mi) southwest of the main campus. Spread over an area of over 2,700 acres (11 km2), it was transferred as a lease in perpetuity to the BHU by the Bharat Mandal Trust in 1979. It hosts the Krishi Vigyan Kendra (Agricultural Science Centre), with focus on research in agricultural techniques, agro-forestry and bio-diversity appropriate to the Vindhya Range region. The south campus features a lecture complex, library, student hostel and faculty housing, besides administrative offices.


Research centers :

Apart from specialized centers directly funded by DBT, DST, ICAR and ISRO, a large number of departments under the Faculties of Sciences, Engineering, Technology and Social Sciences receive funding from the DST Fund for Improvement of Science & Technology Inrastructure (FIST) and the University Grants Commission (UGC) Special Assistance Programme (SAP). UGC SAP provides funds under its Centre of Advanced Study (CAS), Department of Special Assistance (DSA) and Departmental Research Support (DRS) programmes.
BHU research centers include:
  • DBT Centre of Genetic Disorders
  • Center for Environmental Science and Technology
  • Nano science and Technology Center
  • Hydrogen Energy Center
  • Centre for Experimental Medicine and Surgery
  • Center for Women's Studies and Development (CWSD)
  • Center for the Study of Nepal (CNS)
  • Malviya Center for Peace Research (MCPR);
  • Center for Rural Integrated Development; and
  • Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy (CSSEIP)
  • UGC Advanced Immunodiagnostic Training and Research Center
Centres & Labs
Computer Centre
The Computer Center provides quality service to the University community in computing facilities, E-Mail, etc. It helps researchers to get their research data analyzed, extends Internet facilities in the University, enables access to World Wide Web and provides laboratory facility to the students of science and technology.
University Science Instrumentation Centre(USIC)
The University Science Instrumentation Centre (USIC) Level-II as central facility of the Banaras Hindu University, established by UGC, New Delhi in 1980. USIC Level-II is a non-vocation academic department. University Grand Commission with the financial supports (non-recurring) of Rs.4.20 lac. USIC building was completed in 1982-83 and the recruitment of Technical staff was completed by end of 1985.
USIC Level-II has been actively providing services related to -

  • repair and maintenance of electronics/ electrical/ mechanical/ Analytical/ instruments/ equipments.

  • design/ fabrication of instruments/ equipment used in various Institutes/ Faculties/ Departments/ Units/ Research labs etc.

  • Besides completing a large number of Sophisticated and Costly Equipment and maintenance jobs the centre.
    Central Facilities
    Academic Staff College
    The Academic Staff College was established at Banaras Hindu University in November, 1987. Now the college has been extended upto the end of XIth Five Year Plan (April 2007 to March 2012).
    The function of the Academic Staff College is to plan, organise, implement, monitor and evaluate orientation courses for newly appointed teachers and administrative staff of colleges/universities. The ASC also organizes subject specific as well as multidisciplinary refresher courses for serving teachers, senior administrators, heads of department, principals, officers, etc. In addition to these several seminars, workshops, conferences and lectures series etc. are also organized at ASC, BHU.
    As per recent guidelines of UGC, Orientation/Refresher Course should have IT based contents and about one week time should be devoted to IT based contents and its training. To achieve this objective, a most modern computer lab was established in Academic Staff College during the year 2005-06 and a few IT based courses were organized. There is also a ISRO-EDUSAT center established in 2005-06 which is functioning successfully at ASC, BHU.
    Research Facilitites
    Major research facilities
    A. list of selected instruments/ facilities available for research and development is given below:
    1. Atomic Force Microscope
    2. Multiphoton Confocal Microscope as National Facility.
    3. Hydrogen Energy Centre
    4. Transmission and Scanning Electron Microscopes
    5.Rotating anode X-ray generator and diffractometer with cryogenic attachment
    6.CAD-CAM Laboratory
    7.Materials Testing Facilities (Mechanical Properties)
    8. Chemical Analysis and Characterization Instruments (GCMS, FTIR, etc)
    9. Animal Houses
    10. Botanical Gardens
    11. Ayurvedic Gardens
    12. Agriculture Farm
    13. Dairy and Dairying Farm
    14. Horticulture Orchard

    Photo of University